TRACE (http://www.uzleuven-kuleuven.be/lki/trace), a multidisciplinary project focused on the development of Patient-Derived Xenograft (PDX) models, is set up within the department of Oncology at the KU Leuven and it is part of the Leuvens Kankerinstitute (LKI, http://uzleuven-kuleuven.be/lki/en). The platform was created in 2012 aiming to narrow the gap between preclinical and clinical research by developing a more reliable and predictive in vivo model for different tumor types. The established PDXs have the potential to be a representative oncology model for testing innovative treatment therapies, investigating new and existing pathways and define biomarkers.
We are seeking a highly motivated animal technician to join the group and contribute to our ongoing efforts in the establishment/maintenance of PDXs of various tumors and the evaluation of new anti-cancer drugs. The position is funded in the frame of the prestigious EU Horizon 2020 project EDIReX (https://www.europdx.eu/europdx-research-infrastructure/europdx-research-infrastructure-about).
- Background as animal technician or similar
- Certificate of Laboratory Animal Sciences (FELASA B)
- Interest in research and the development of better therapies
- Organized and Accurate
- Team player but also capable of handling tasks independently
- Strong sense of responsibility and willingness to learn new concepts and techniques
- Flexible in working hours
- Good knowledge of English and/or Dutch
- Implantation of tumor biopsies in immunodeficient mice
- Daily care of animals that have been implanted (make sure that they have enough food and water, assess the physical health status, monitor weight changes)
- Independently and accurately performing, and thoroughly documenting, the in vivo treatment experiments
- Harvesting and processing of tumor samples
- Working collaboratively to ensure full characterization of models, including genomic and histological profiling
- Ordering of mice and lab consumables
- Stocking up and sterilization of supplies
What we offer:
We offer a full time position in a dynamic team of young and highly motivated scientists working in a vibrant scientific environment in which quality, professionalism and social contacts are encouraged. You will have the chance to to gain extensive experience in treatment experiments with mice. You will be part of a European network setting up the standards for PDX research in Europe.
Moreover, KU Leuven offers many advantages like a hospital insurance and group insurance, Eco-cheques, beneficial holiday arrangements, etc.
The application must include:
1. Motivation letter
2. Curriculum vitae (including education, experience, previous employments and language skills)
3. Copy of diplomas/degree certificate(s)